I have been diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder for 3 years now, through all the suffering and the pain and the constant emotional battle, I rarely hear anyone saying anything positive regarding BPD.
Although all of us have different traits and personalities, and traits of some borderlines with be the complete opposite of another…. but maybe we aren’t like this for no reason?
What positive aspects can you pull from your BPD?
An animals ability to adapt to its environment is probably the single biggest factor in its survival. For me, aspects of BPD seem like they stem from a sort of ultra adaptability.
I am the type of person who can really do anything, and I usually do it pretty well.
I’ve worked so many different jobs, tried so many different hobbies, started so many different businesses and helped many others do the same. I feel like that is partly because I can constantly rebuild my self-image to suit whatever role is necessary.
Every person I talk to get a slightly different voice/persona, it’s always well adapted to the target and the result is always positive, I don’t fail interviews and my bosses/mentors are always pleased with my work and expect me to excel.
I am writing this post to prove it’s not all bad, its not all in the textbooks! There ARE advantages of having a mental illness such as BPD.
Here are a few that I for one am thankful for.
- PASSIONATE: Extreme intensity of passion when I find something that interests me.
- INDIVIDUAL: I strongly cultivate my individualism and enjoy applying my abilities to new tasks.
- SPONTANEOUS: ‘The Art of living in the moment’.. doing whatever it is I feel I want to do at that moment. Being Free.
- CURIOUS: I’m curious about anything and everything, therefore taking more interest in people and in their interests.
- INTENSE: Every moment of life is experienced at extreme intensity, experiencing life to the fullest with both the highs and the lows.
- INSIGHTFUL: Since I have experienced so much pain in my past, I am able to draw on these experiences for the present moment via self-awareness, helping myself and others.
- EMPATHETIC & COMPASSIONATE: Empathy is the capacity to recognize and, to some extent, share feelings (such as sadness or happiness) that are being experienced by another. Some borderlines do not have any, I however have super empathy and can have a lot of compassion for those around me, whether I am feeling high or low.
- CREATIVE: ‘ Having the ability to create’…This is one of my favourite ‘Borderline Super Powers’ The quote below is hanging in my kitchen (In a collage that I created) that reminds me of the positive aspects of BPD when I’m struggling to see any
My creative gifts are worth the mental illness, I’ve suffered for them.
So while this mercurial sense of self can be negative, and leads to BPD behaviours, it can also be a huge advantage.
As a Borderline, I can be anything and everything I want, most people can’t adapt like that..so if you understand the content of this post, maybe you could try to use this as an advantage? Use your flexible self-image to rebuild yourself positively, rebuild a version of yourself that can’t be negative or sad, or self-pitying.
We are actually in much more control of our persona’s than most normals, they can’t recreate themselves so easily. We will undoubtedly fall apart after rebuilding ourselves, we need to just remember to keep rebuilding the same house, every time we do it, it will become stronger and stronger, and eventually…this will all be a thing of the past.